Re: Multihomed proxy serving 2 wireless networks

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 11:06 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Kevin Plew wrote:
> > The FC2 box is not acting as a router. I don't want all packets to go
> > through eth0 due to the load on the wireless router. The reason I want to
> > route through the 2 interfaces is to reduce the total load on each router.
>
> Right, I see. So the FC2 server is just a file/print/DNS/DHCP etc. server?
>
> So clients of 192.168.1.0/24 should be using 192.168.1.1 as their
> router/gateway and clients of 192.168.100.0/24 should be using
> 192.168.100.1 as their router/gateway. Since both of your wireless
> routers have interfaces on the 10.x.x.x network, they should be able to
> reach 10.10.11.50 without any additional routes. The only additional
> route entry you need is one via either eth0 or eth1 for the FC2 server
> itself. They key would seem to be to set up the DHCP server to assign
> the correct router to each network's clients.
>
> Paul.

Kevin,

Since your server is not acting as a router, why not move it to the
switch between the Satellite broadband device and the Linksys routers.
A single interface into the network should be sufficient to serve your 2
Wireless subnets and you would only need one route out of the server.

Network diagram:
               Proxy Server
           ----10.10.11.50-----

          Satellite Broadband Gateway
      ---------10.11.57.1----------

      -----------Switch--------------------------------
       |                     |                     |
       |                     |                     |
   10.11.57.2              10.11.57.3          server FC2
    Linksys wrt54g         Linksys wrt54g      10.11.57.4
  wireless router        wireless router
  --192.168.1.1--      ---192.168.100.1-----
  192.168.1.0/24----   ----192.168.100.0/24----

Let the Linksys routers provide DHCP for the clients and they would also
be the clients' default routers.  The Linksys routers probably act as
caching DNS servers as well.

Bob...