Re: Spamassassin 3.0.2 autolearn=ham/spam/no

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 17:19, Brian Mury wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 13:55 -0800, Matt Florido wrote:
> > "Finally, SpamAssassin requires at least 3 points from the header and 3
> > points from the body, to auto-learn as spam. If either section
> > contributes fewer points, the message will not be auto-learned."
>
> I want SpamAssassin to be trained with all my mail. I tried to do this
> by having SpamAssassin auto-learn from all mail, so I would only have to
> retrain it with those messages that it gets wrong (which I can do with
> Evolution's Junk/Not Junk buttons). This can't be done, due to what is
> quoted above. I think there's a similar issue with auto-learning ham.

The way this is handle usually is to manually run sa-learn on batches of
ham and spam email.  If this is done with a good sample in the first
week or two of starting to use spamassassin you normally get a good base
line and get very good results.  Occasional training sessions will
maintain things.  About every two weeks I run a script that processes
all spam I received.  I run my inbox through less often.  By manually
doing this I get a chance to do a quick review looking for false
positives.  Anymore I don't spend much time on spam.

And if you are running your own MTA server you can eliminate 99% of your
spam before every having to invoke spamassassin by implementing
greylisting.

Seriously, it works that well.

--
Scot L. Harris