Re: Dual Boot, Grub, FC3-WinXpSP2, 2 drives. No go.

--On 1. marec 2005 13:07 -0500 Nat Gross <natgross.rentalsystems@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sasa Stupar wrote:

--On 1. marec 2005 11:14 -0500 Nat Gross
<natgross.rentalsystems@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Craig White wrote:

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 01:00 -0500, Robert Locke wrote:

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 17:55 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
<snip>

I thought so, too. But I just mounted both (vfat and ntfs) partitions
under FC3, and there is no boot.ini file. At this point I am certain
that for some reason (maybe due to an earlier install of Windows)
Windows kept the boot.ini on C, hda, and used that to boot from E.

This is beginning to sound problematic and more of a Windows thing....

I am guessing that perhaps we would need to "repair" the Windows
installation.  Offhand, I am not sure how to do this and I think
that it
will most likely attempt to overwrite the MBR part of the first disk.
This is not necessarily a huge problem in that a quick linux rescue
followed by a grub re-installation of the first stage bootloader can
correct the damage potentially done by the Windows repair....

<snip>

One key question is, does grub require that I make hdb5 bootable?

So to speak.  GRUB is passing control to the NTLDR and BOOT.INI files.
Remember that they are hidden/system files usually, so depending on
how
you tried to locate them might be why you did not see them (probably a
pipe dream)???

I think at this stage you may be looking to get some advice on how to
repair the Windows partition unless someone else wants to jump in with
advice on that side....

----
I'm coming in late in the game - NTLDR and BOOT.INI would normally be
found in c:\ and they are invisible files - you wouldn't normally see
them in Windows unless you set all files visible including system
files.

If the 'C' drive was removed, then these files no longer exist.

You can boot Windows Install CD - go to recover console, and type
"FIXBOOT"

should fix that problem

The problem is that Windows has been updated to sp2, rendering the
original Win cd useless.
-nat

another option is FIXMBR but that might be a mistake if you want
grub to
chain the bootloader - remember though that grub should be chaining to
the proper drive hd(?,0) and the ? is likely to be a number like 1 or 2
or 3 depending on how many hard drives are installed

Craig

Try the following change in your grub.conf:
-----------
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Pingo Linux
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-xxx ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-xxx.img
title Windows XP Pro
    map (hd0) (hd1)
       map (hd1) (hd0)
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1
    makeactive
    boot
It works nice for me.

Sasa

If this works, you get promoted! Now, which portion of grub.conf are you referring to that I change? Do you have a similar setup with two drives, Linux on the first and Windows on the second? Thanks. -nat

Yes. I have linux on first and winxp on second and each one with it'c own MBR but I but from linux and I can choose linux or winxp.

Sasa