Re: Dual Boot, Grub, FC3-WinXpSP2, 2 drives. No go.

Robert Locke wrote:

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 15:18 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:

Robert Locke wrote:

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 14:06 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:

Robert Locke wrote:

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 13:18 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:

<snip>

I guess you need to define which "partition" contains the "WINDOWS"
directory.  That is the one that you would be "booting" from.  So is
that on hdb1 or hdb5.....

But I must admit that my Windows boot process knowledge is getting
mighty rusty, now that I use VMWare to run it.

As I recall, the Windows bootloader is mighty cheesy....  It simply
pointed to the first sector of the "active" partition....  I wonder if
playing with hide and unhide in grub might help.  Can you hide a whole
drive or just a partition, haven't had to do one myself?  But that way
you might be able to allow Windows to think it is the only drive again
which is perhaps what it is expecting?  Windows may be trying to
interpret the first drive's partition table and getting itself confused
as it tried to boot....

Grub intercepts the boot.

Well, that's open for a little interpretation....

chainloader is essentially just passing control back to Windows to boot
itself.

Oh.

The Windows MBR component is what is replaced/intercepted by
GRUB.  But the chainloader line is execute sector +1 on the rootnoverify
line.  Generally Windows has historically held the NTLDR executable
there that then reads the boot.ini file and performs it's boot.....

One minute. So, the boot.ini might have been on C:?<gasp>
On the other hand, it should not be too hard to write a boot.ini, if I recall correctly from my last win crash. But, where should I stick that file? Or, maybe I should try to mount the the ntfs partition (via the 3rd party driver) just to look for boot.ini...
<sigh>
Mr. Gates, I ain't going back to you!!!! (after I'm thru with this.)
-nat

--Rob