Re: Dual Boot, Grub, FC3-WinXpSP2, 2 drives. No go.

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 15:46 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> Robert Locke wrote:

> ><snip>

> >>Grub intercepts the boot.
> >>

> >Well, that's open for a little interpretation....
> >
> >chainloader is essentially just passing control back to Windows to boot
> >itself.
> >
> Oh.
>
> >The Windows MBR component is what is replaced/intercepted by
> >GRUB.  But the chainloader line is execute sector +1 on the rootnoverify
> >line.  Generally Windows has historically held the NTLDR executable
> >there that then reads the boot.ini file and performs it's boot.....
> >

> One minute. So, the boot.ini might have been on C:?<gasp>
> On the other hand, it should not be too hard to write a boot.ini, if I
> recall correctly from my last win crash. But, where should I stick that
> file? Or, maybe I should try to mount the the ntfs partition (via the
> 3rd party driver) just to look for boot.ini...
> <sigh>
> Mr. Gates, I ain't going back to you!!!! (after I'm thru with this.)
> -nat

I would think that it would be on the partition that you are booting
Windows from, which I presume is hdb5, which houses the boot.ini....

Presuming that hasn't been changed...

So, perhaps the bigger issue is that did we (Linux/anaconda) re-write
your partition table to confuse Windows.  This has happened in the past,
but was with FC2.  But have you changed any BIOS parameters related to
LBA (Logical Block Addressing) since you last booted Windows
successfully?  Perhaps Windows interpretation of the drive size and what
is written in the MBR of the second drive are confused, and that might
be affected by the Fedora/anaconda installer or by changes in the BIOS
related to how to interpret CHS (Cylinders, Heads, Sectors)....

One other thought... have you moved the drive?  Was it originally the
primary drive but now you have moved it to be secondary?  That might
account for a confused boot.ini file.....

I have heard of a recovery console available from Windows XP but do not
have any direct experience with it (I always equated it with "linux
rescue").  You could also try to boot one of the Live CDs that includes
the NTFS driver to at least view the boot.ini, but I wouldn't try to
launch it in writable mode.  For that you want to figure out the Windows
Recovery Console.

I'm off for the next several hours, but good luck...

--Rob