Re: Fedora/Windows network

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 12:45 -0500, Johnathan Bailes wrote:

> Hey thanks Craig I can connect directly to the share via name as
> oppossed to just IP now.
>
> But what if my wireless router (home network) is set up as the dhcp server?
>
> I do not see a wins section in my router setup page for this Netgear
> WGT264 I have.  Is there anyway to add the Linux box to my lmhosts on
> the XP box to have this work?
----
absolutely - that is indeed one way of getting NETBIOS names to resolve
to a specific ip address without WINS...

on my windows xp machine, I would want a file called

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts

and an entry like...

192.168.1.1      NETBIOS_NAME

see lmhosts.sam

of course, lmhosts is not dynamic and any changes will have to be
manually recorded to each Windows computer (or samba computers) using
this instead of WINS

Craig