Re: Slow GUI with Evolution (and only with Evolution)

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 00:03 +0100, tyuiop wrote:
> As I was saying, the slowness is very noticeable even when I click on
> New Message or go into Settings i.e. no spam checks take place (BTW, I
> had them disabled right from the start). Repetitive actions don't seem
> to improve speed either (by using cache mechanisms or otherwise): if I
> click on New Message n times, each time the new window will be drawn
> at the same (low) speed). It seems to be a GUI problem and nothing
> more, as no other functions (e.g. sending or receiving messages) are
> affected. Still, this doesn't make too much sense when no other GTK+
> applications are affected.
> I'm really puzzled.

Have you tried changing the theme you are using? I've heard reports,
although they were from the evolution 1.4 days, that certain themes
interacted very poorly with evolution (I can't remember the details --
it was something to do with some meta-theme (not bluecurve, Fedora's
default) which attempted to style both KDE and GNOME applications).

Are you running evolution inside KDE? Do you see the same behaviour if
you run it in GNOME? I'm grasping at straws here, as it should be fine
regardless. All I can say is that evolution 2 is actually pretty snappy
on my FC3 machine --- faster than it used to be and, given its size,
noticeably snappier than something supposedly lightweight like gedit.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com