Re: IP address variable

Tony Dietrich wrote:

A network administration machine where you want to be able to get at the servers by name even if the DNS server goes haywire.

I've been installing and designing networks for over 20 years and I have yet to see a DNS server go haywire. Since the rule is to have 2 DNS serves, if one were to go down, the other would pick up the slack.

You DO give your servers fixed IPs don't you?

Yes, but I have changed those fixed IP's on occasion. Case in point - a client got his mail server listed on a blacklist. We had to re IP his server to avoid the blacklist. I made one change to the DNS server and one change to the firewall rules and we were finished. This client has a few dozen servers. Had we done it your way, I would have needed to change the hosts files on a few dozen servers, and then get those servers to reread those hosts files.

I have a habit of naming the servers in a site the same whenever I can.
So a tunnel script with the external name of the site and the internal name of the server gets me there, because I add IPs and names to my master hosts file on this central office system as/when I build a network for a client.

I don't know if I follow that, but I just use DNS to hit clients machines for ssh, ftp, whatever I want.

I guess I'll do it my way and you can do it yours.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx