Re: Backups on DVD

Joachim Backes wrote:
On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 12:39 +0100, A. Lanza wrote:

Hi list,

I'm looking for a solution to backup data on a server on a monthly
basis. The amount of data to be backed up is about 20 GB. I do not have
any tape drives but have a DVD drive. I'd like to store the backups on a
few DVDs.

I use tar to get the complete backup done. How can i split the file in
4,7 GB. individual files and record them on DVDs?

Use the split command.

Is there a better way to manage backups? I'm sure there is, but don't
know :( and i haven't found any backup tool in FC3...

I'd appreciate your help,

Alf

You can also specify via tar in what size chunks you want the data, and name them accordingly.

I agree with what Alexander Spanke (I just have to chuckle at that last name dude, sorry) that you should take care as to what kind of media you store any of this on. DVDs have a very limited lifetime, unless you're willing to spend a bit more. Tapes, on the otherhand, last quite a long while - and as cheap as they are anymore, to compete with the new DVD devices that are coming out, it would definately be worth your while to go the way of the tape. It's perfect for simple mass-backup solutions.

Alexander Spanke (heh) also suggested using Amanda. Amanda is an amazing tool, but another program called Bacula beats it hands-down.

Both utilities have an option for incremental backups, which is what you might also want to consider if using DVDs. Take one initial huge backup, and weekly, create a new incremental backup. Doing this, you won't have to store 20+ gigs each time. It's up to you to decide if this server grows more than 4.7G per each backup period.

The tools are there, just do some research.  You'll find a good solution.

Thanks
-dant