Re: 2.6.10-1.12_FC2

John Logsdon wrote:
I have rebuilt the initrd image --with=reiserfs (no .ko) but I still get a
kernel panic:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Kernel panic -  not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(3,2)

I named the initrd as initrd.custom.img and it is in the /boot directory
and added

initrd /initdd.custom.img to the grub line

but still a bombout.

In fact during a 2.6.5 bootup, it is clearly loading the reiserfs module
from dmesg:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
reiserfs: using ordered data mode

etc etc

It is a bit annoying when earlier kernels worked OK only for RH/Fedora to
change within a release - I could understand it better if this was when
going to FC3 for example.

I have now changed the boot partition to ext3 (ie copied it, mkfs.ext3
/dev/hda1 copied it back and re-installed grub - the grub.conf is the
same) but I still get the same kernel panic although I can boot it back in
the 2.6.5 kernel OK.

Further clues?

A wild and wacky thought; do you have any trailing spaces on any lines in your /etc/modprobe.conf file? If so, try getting rid of them, build a new initrd and try booting 2.6.10 again. It seems to be a lot more picky about parsing module options than previous kernels. It's a long shot but you never know.

Paul.