Re: FC2 ext3 system. Boot FC3 CD-1. =Kernel Panic.

Edward wrote:

Nat Gross wrote:

Nat Gross wrote:

My existing FC2 system (which I don't mind re-partioning re-installing) is jealous. It won't allow FC3 on it.

Here is the scoop:
Hardware: Dell 4500, 2ghz Pentium, 1 gig ram, 1 ATA 80 gig drive. (NON sata.) Currently running FC2 a-ok.
FC2 was installed with default filesystem, ext3.

Now, I boot FC3 CD-1 (which I can read ok from) and I get a kernel panic like this:

===========
md:...autorun DONE.
RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0.
crc error
VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(8,3)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option.
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,3).
================
If I try the mediacheck option, I get the same message, before the mediacheck begins.

Thank you all;
-nat

Update: I tried the same cd in another [Windoz] system, with the exact same result! Hopefully, although I can mount and read the cd, it's defective. It did say 'crc error'. Would this mean that's its the cd or <gasp> the image. Aw, I never bother with the md5 stuff, don't even know how to use it.
Anyone?
Thanks
-nat

It's in the download documentation:

http://fedora.redhat.com/download/#download

or 'man md5sum' if you're running linux.

There's an md5sum program for Windows as well. Search for it on google.

Regards,
Ed.

Thanks. I knew I was silly, I didn't realize how silly :). ALL my iso's did NOT match the md5sum.
These files were first dl'd under win, copied unto linux, I don't know if that's where they fluked out.
Thanks.
-nat