Re: FC3 Installtion Problems

Edward wrote:

Thomas Riggs wrote:

I'm installing FC3 i386, do you want the build number? I don't know how to find that either... *looks embarrassed*

I don't think by version he means build number, but rather DVD or CD version - I could be wrong though. I believe version wise there's only one?

I also do not suspect your hardware per-se, except to say I've had a lot of trouble with VIA I/O controllers. This is what I would do first before anything else:

1> Run Memtest. I believe you can run it from the Fedora CD/DVD now, but if not grab it off the net.

2> This is probably just because I don't like the VIA Apollo Pro chipset when it comes to I/O, but I would most definitely turn off DMA for the install. Use the site: http://www.fedorafaq.org.

Here's an excerpt that may help you:

Q: I have strange installation problems.
A: If your installation doesn't work, or you have problems during or after installation, first read the README and the Release Notes.

If the README and Release Notes don't have a solution for your problem, try booting the installer with one of the following commands:

linux ide=nodma

linux acpi=off

linux i8042.nomux

linux acpi=off apm=off

The "i8042.nomux" is especially helpful if you have keyboard or mouse problems.

If any of those commands fixes your problem, please file a bug in Red Hat's Bugzilla.

(Thanks to Alan Cox for all this information.)

Try these first. Especially the ide=nodma one, as it has solved a lot of install problems for a lot of people here.

Regards,
Ed.

Big thanks Ed, hopefully I'll get FC working soon!
(It's CD by the way)

-Thomas Riggs