confused about firstboot

  [i posted my first question about this to the anaconda list, thought
i'd figured it out, realized i was still confused, but figured this
really wasn't related that much to anaconda so i'm asking again here.
sorry to the folks on the anaconda list for bugging them.]

  what is responsible for the initial invocation of "firstboot"?
based on my reading of the script /etc/rc.d/init.d/firstboot, since
it's obviously a chkconfig-based script, i have to assume that, upon
installation, there are symlinks to this script in place that cause
firstboot to run, after which the symlinks are removed, is that
correct?

  if that's the answer, that's fine, but it's also kind of redundant
since that script explicitly checks for the existence of the
/etc/sysconfig/firstboot file, which has to contain RUN_FIRSTBOOT=YES
for firstboot to be run.  so, really, it's only necessary to set the
contents of that file to RUN_FIRSTBOOT=NO after that first boot, no?

  i realize that what's happening will work just fine, but it strikes
me as an example of unnecessary over-engineering.  i'm still going
over the code, but some of it strikes me as a bit ... hacky?

  more later, perhaps, once i get a clearer picture of the logic.

rday