Re: Bizarre weirdness with del key and GNOME Terminal

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 18:40 +0000, D. D. Brierton wrote:

> My next thought was that it must be something in my .bashrc or in
> my .bash_profile but they are pretty vanilla. What other files should I
> look at?

Okay -- I've now determined the source of the problem but not a suitable
workaround. I have a ~/.inputrc file with the following in it:

"\M-[A": history-search-backward
"\M-[B": history-search-forward

That allows me to type the first couple of letters of a command and then
use the up and down arrows to search for matches in my bash history. Now
if I rename ~/.inputrc my delete key works properly again. But now I've
lost the very useful functionality of being able to search through my
bash history. So, what is the proper way to resolve this?

BTW, creating ~/.inputrc with the above two lines in it was based on a
tip I got on this mailing list (or possibly the RHL9 list).

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com