Bizarre weirdness with del key and GNOME Terminal

I really hope someone can help me out with this. I'm running FC3 (clean
install, not an upgrade) and in my personal account the "Delete" key
generates a tilde character "~"  in GNOME Terminal. It does *not* do so
if I log in as root, or if I create a wholly new test account.

What is even weirder is that if I'm logged in (in X via GDM) as me, open
a GNOME Terminal, and then do "su -" the "Delete" key starts working
again as I expect it to (i.e. "Backspace" deletes left, and "Delete"
deletes right), but the minute I "exit" back to being me "Backspace"
deletes left but "Delete" generates "~".

I have fiddled to no end with GNOME Terminal's preferences, and have
compared my .bash* files but nothing is presenting itself as an obvious
candidate for my woes. It's clearly some cruft left over in my home
directory which I've kept going through backups and keeping it on a
separate partition for years now, but I have no idea where to look.

Suggestions for strategies for finding the source of the problem would
be greatly appreciated.

TIA, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com