Re: Testing apps on dual booting machine.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:04:31 +0000, James Wilkinson
<james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> M.Rudra wrote:
>
> > Currently I use FC-1 and also have a dual boot machine with win-XP.
> > My question :
> > I have not programmed  with Linux, but would like to. So if i create a
> > seperate *user* and download any linux application under development
> > to fiddle with, will it crash my dual boot or linux box ?
> > I had read a few articles/blogs about problems with
> > testing/programming on a dual booting FC and XP machine. I dont want
> > that problem :-) as i wouldnt know how to fix it.
> > This is my home PC - I use it for regular stuff (music, email,
> > browsing, office apps, other stuff...) and yet I want it to be
> > stable....
>
> Very short answer: No.
>
> Short answer: It depends, but probably not.
>
> Long answer: If you're doing kernel mode programming, X sever
> programming, or anything that needs privileged access to hardware, then
> all bets are off. But it doesn't sound as though you're ready for that,
> yet, and you'd know if you were doing it.
>
> If you run your programs as root, then there is the chance for those
> programs to trash your system.
>
> Otherwise, the very worst that you can do is trash your user files. And
> the chance of that, normally, is very remote.
>
> Unix (except in the early versions), and Linux (and Windows XP, come to
> that) have memory management. They use the MMU and "privileged modes" in
> the processor to ensure that normal programs can't fiddle with memory
> that they're not supposed to access. This means that they can't crash
> the entire OS, or get around the filesystem's permission flags.
>
> It would be very impressive to produce a program bug that could trash
> user files unrelated to the program, unless you were playing around with
> "find" and "rm" type functionality. But as you imply, if you do
> development and testing as a separate user, and if you've got the
> permission flags set appropriately (which they should be for /home, but
> check any shared directories or vfat mounts), then even such a bug will
> only affect the development user.

thanks James ...both  answers are reassuring for a non-geek like me.
and i am definitely not geared for kernel programing or anything that
demanding.  I switched to linux first out of curiosity.
The system has a partition and allows access to windows via linux but
as root (is that safe ?...not sure about user's. ?- how do i find out
?)
If i create a *User* for testing packages what options should i turn
off and what permission flags need to be set. I am not conversant with
command line interfaces so any links to finding that info is also
useful. Do they differ for each package/program ?
--
MR