Re: Firefox "Save As" Dialog ?

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:17:55 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <rahulsundaram@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
> >
> > # 164493 (marked as a duplicate of 137515)
>
> the first good thing that seems to have come out of this is these kind
> of bug reports.
>
> I am pretty sure that graying out non readable or read only locations
> is better than letting users fiddling with system bookmarks like
> desktop, home etc. thats typically called  a "unbreak me" preference
> http://ometer.com/free-software-ui.html

I think there are two issues. 1) The system should not present read-only
targets as available for writing. 2) The targets should be customizable
by the user.

If I know that I will never write to the cdrom or to some other system
bookmarks, I should be able to remove them somehow. The only bookmark
there is a strong argument for always keeping is '/'. By all means
provide reasonable defaults (and apart from the insistance of including
previously unmounted vfat partitions, I believe they are reasonable),
but give the user the freedom to delete them.

For example, I *never* use Desktop. I don't run nautilus so I never
will. Maybe I am the only person who works like this (though I suspect
not), but even so I should still have the choice to delete it if I wish.
Other users will have different requirements, and there is no way the
developers will provide defaults that satisfy everyone.

I would settle for the customization to be available from gconf-editor
(though I think this program is a hack and should never have been
necessary), but the file manager already has add and remove buttons and
I can see no reason why these should not extend to the predefined
bookmarks as well.

Beginner friendly should not have to mean expert hostile.

Regards,

Chris