Re: Firefox "Save As" Dialog ?

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:18:07 -0800
Dave <fedora-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday 17 January 2005 04:38 pm, Brian Mury wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-17-01 at 16:30 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > have to click on "Browse for other folders" to expand the window so
> > that it includes a real file dialogue. If I could set it so that it
> > was already expanded when it opened, I would be reasonably happy.
>
> How about
>  - Above all else, show files that are in the current directory,
>  instead of just subdirectories

>  - Ditch that ugly/awkward row of "directory" buttons across the top,
>  and just put in a drop-down box

I totally agree. The buttons are just wrong. A drop down list or a tree
with icons (c.f. windows expolorer) is a much more familiar (and IMO
functional) interface.

>  - Better yet, ditch that ugly/awkward row of buttons, *and* that
>  useless pane to the left that only shows Home, Desktop, Filesystem,
>  Inbox and replace it with a useful control, like a directory tree

I like the idea of having bookmarks available. But the list needs to be
completeley customizable, not just appendable. I have a CDROM drive
which is still included in a save dialog, even though this is obviously
inappropriate.

Other misfeatures:
No place to type in a directory name - unless you type control-L. This
makes interaction with automounted directories difficult (this one is in
bugzilla)

Create Folder button opens up a text entry widget, but the folder is
created as soon as the widget loses focus rather than when <enter> is
pressed. Frequently I need to look behind the file dialog to decide
which directory I want to create and end up accidentally creating a
directory "Type your folder name here" (that's from memory - I don't
have an FC3 system here).

If there is an option to get the old file dialog back (either in firefox
or in gnome generally), someone please share it.

Regards,

Chris