Re: Why do I need isdn4k-utils

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 06:26 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 12:49 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > On a percentage basis, the number of people using ISDN lines is very
> > small.
> I don't know where you live, but ... do you know about the importance of
> ISDN in Europe, esp. in Germany? It's importance is decreasing, as most
> Fedora users will have DSL, nevertheless it is still very important.

So? The whole X Window system is very important, and TONS of people use
it everywhere. That doesn't mean it gets installed on *every* system.
Ditto the argument for many other things, including many (most?) other
packages related to hardware.

Please note that the argument here is not that ISDN should be
deprecated; the argument is that isdn4k-utils should not be in the base
set of packages which get installed on every system. It should be
installed where needed.

I live in Guatemala, and I actually had ISDN at one point. Of course,
that was via an external modem which connected via a serial port, so for
me isdn4k-utils was *still* useless. :-)

> Correct. It isn't needed unless you actually have an ISDN card and want
> to use it. (Therefore kudzu also is not an alternative - kudzu doen't
> know if a user is really wanting to use a card).

I don't understand what you're saying; could you clarify? I see kudzu as
a perfectly good alternative: if you have a card which requires the
isdn4k-utils drivers, it installs the package, otherwise it does not.
Kudzu does not really care whether or not you want to use it, but does
install support for it.

On the other hand, I still see no valid arguments for putting isdn4k-
utils on *every* Fedora system on Earth. Certainly ISDN is not *that*
important, nor is it *that* widespread.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>