Re: Why do I need isdn4k-utils

Dave wrote (about isdn4k-utils):
>  I'm not at all questioning why it's in Fedora. I'm just curious why it got
> installed on my system without asking. Inquiring minds want to know and
> understand. After all, millions of people demand Microsoft Windows, but I'm
> not one of them, either.

OK: what happens when you (later) plug in an ISDN adapter? Or, to put it
another way, what *should* happen?

The Fedora approach is that it should, ideally, Just Work with as little
hassle as possible. That's why we've got kudzu, which as far as possible
detects and automatically configures everything. That's why we've got
hotplug.

In order for that to work for ISDN, you're going to need isdn4k-utils.
If it's installed, Fedora can configure it, and all you need to do is
plug in a phone number, and probably a user-name and password, and you
get connected. (Disclaimer: I haven't tried this. It's where we're
going, anyway.)

The other option would have been for Fedora not to install the RPM if it
didn't detect ISDN hardware at install, and then later to demand the RPM
when it detected an ISDN adapter. This would be possible (it's
essentially what Windows did for a number of components), but not nearly
as convenient.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Really, *really* bad headlines:
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Drunks Get Nine Months in Violin Case