Re: Why do I need isdn4k-utils

On Friday 14 January 2005 05:14 am, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Dave wrote (about isdn4k-utils):
> >  I'm not at all questioning why it's in Fedora. I'm just curious why it
> > got installed on my system without asking. Inquiring minds want to know
> > and understand. After all, millions of people demand Microsoft Windows,
> > but I'm not one of them, either.
>
> OK: what happens when you (later) plug in an ISDN adapter? Or, to put it
> another way, what *should* happen?

 kudzu should detect it, tell me I need isdn4k-utils, and offer to run "yum
install isdn4k-utils" ... since, by that time, there's more than likely an
updated version?

> The Fedora approach is that it should, ideally, Just Work with as little
> hassle as possible. That's why we've got kudzu, which as far as possible
> detects and automatically configures everything. That's why we've got

 By that logic, EVERY single package for EVERY single piece of hardware ever
made should be installed by default.  Because somebody, somewhere, might plug
something in.

 I don't buy it, but YMMV. I always thought the unix community considered
unnecessary software an unnecessary exposure to potential vulnerabilities--if
somebody later discovers a root exploit involving isdn4k-utils, I'm not
vulnerable if it's not installed, and since I don't NEED it, it's not worth
taking the risk (miniscule chance of negative outcome, versus zero benefit to
having it). Plus, it's not wasting disk space ...

 Getting back to the second part of my original question, I'm presuming
nothing will happen if I remove it other than (horrors!) not being able to
use a non-existent ISDN adapter?