Re: Why do I need mDNSResponder/howl?

David Cary Hart wrote:
| On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 11:07 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
| In a perfect world (IMO), the full customization option would be
| restored and then reconfigured to show a dependency tree for each
| package selected. I lack the expertise to offer the code or I would.

I actually think the limitation is in anaconda.  There is actually two
things I would love to see, and if I ever get 15 minutes to think about
it...

First, When I install, I should be offered to install or not, based upon
previous selections, and smart defaults should be based upon a minimal
AI.  For example, First I am asked if I want a GUI, i.e. X, if I select
yes, I should be asked which desktop I want: Gnome; KDE; or that new one
that looks like CDE whose name escapes me right now.  If I select KDE,
don't offer by default to install the GNOME email client (evolution) but
instead assume I want the KDE mail client (kmail).  Since I selected
KDE, this would be an easy assumption to program.  Intelligence such as
if I install Apache, offer PHP, but don't assume unless I installed
Apache, If I select PHP and then install MySQL, offer to install the
php-mysql package and default to any KDE based MySQL admin tool in the
repository.  This is simple logic, when I select x, automatically look
at what is already selected that is related to this package, and try and
connect the dots.  When I install MySQL in the example above, know that
I have GNOME and KDE desktop tools, so if GNOME is selected, autoselect
the GNOME tools; if KDE is selected, select the KDE tools; if both are
selected, select both tools.

~  OnSelect MySQL {
~    IfSelect (package("APACHE") && package("PHP")) {
~      SelectPackage("php-mysql")
~      SelectPackage("myphpadmin")
~    }

~    IfSelect package("KDE") {
~      SelectPackage("kdekiosql")
~      SelectPackage("kcontrol-kde")
~      SelectPackage("knoda")
~    }

~    IfSelect package("GNOME") {
~      SelectPackage("you get the message")
~    }
~  }

With this type of setup, kickstart gets much easier, and install types
are all but eliminated.  You get what you want, and nothing more every time.

The second think I would love to see in Anaconda is the ability to limit
the selections based upon a server config file.  If I don't want to deal
with GNOME because I love KDE, or vice versa, and want to keep my
questions limited to one desktop, I would love to see a simple (no
manual editing of files!) way for any Fedora install, either from a
central repository or CD, to seek this in some way (SRV DNS records
perhaps) and take GNOME off the list of items that I can select on my
corporate network.  I really would make a corporate build from a general
distro like Fedora a reality and probably eliminate the need for custom
distros or install builds.  Kick start shows some promise in this area,
but I feel falls far short of enforcing the rules of the net admin while
allowing flexibility in the build.

| Then, again, I'm prehistoric. I fondly recall tinkering with the Xmodem
| assembler code on a cp/m system. I better stop before I begin extolling
| the virtues of Fido.

Sounds like an Apple II survivor, lmao

- --
Kevin Fries