Re: Why do I need mDNSResponder/howl?

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 10:46 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
> This is a spectacular waste of bandwidth. Cannot we assume that EVERYONE
> reconfigures services after install? Don't want it on your hard drive? -
> "rpm -e".

Don't pick on the man, he's got a point. More and more things are
getting installed as time goes on, and while some of those are needed
some are bloat. For routers, firewalls, and servers, I routinely remove
nearly 40% of the installed packages... *don't* tell me that all those
packages were needed, that's ridiculous. Questioning the status quo is
always valid, since that's how we make progress.

If you don't like his thread, ignore it... you have a delete key. But
don't try to shut people up! That's rude, uncalled-for, and against
Fedora's best interests. People like Dave are the ones who actually
speak up and suggest improvements in the OS for future versions, so I
suggest we value every voice we can get.

And no, we cannot and will not assume that EVERYONE must reconfigure
services after install, damnit. We can and will search for the optimal
package sets for each configuration, because SOME OF US want Fedora to
be as good as possible.

Sheesh.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>