Re: Firewall and Hardware questions

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 00:01 -0500, Mathew S. Nowend wrote:
> It has been a long while since I have been on, and I again I am in
> need of guidance.

You're in the right place. :-)

> My original plan was to turn the custom box into a firewall/online
> storage/webserver.  If all of that is possible from one box.

<grin> Yes, definitely possible.

> I just need to know if 512 RAM and if I need to go with a 40 or 80 gig
> hard drive?

I run several boxes that do firewall/gateway service for a LAN,
additionally providing DHCP, DNS, printer sharing, and NTP services to
that LAN and reporting bandwidth usage via MRTG (which means Apache is
also running). To do this, I use Pentium Classic machines, usually
between 133 MHz and 200 MHz) with 32MB/64MB of RAM and a 1GB hard drive.

*Anything* you get is going to be more than capable of doing what you
want. Since I noted that Miles has pointed you to his document already,
also take a look at one of mine, the "Bare-Bones Server HOWTO":

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/barebones-server-howto.php

This document is not quite finished, and it does not have everything you
need, but it may provide some useful tips and concepts in addition to
the other reading material you've already found. I should be finishing
it within the next week or so, though.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>