Re: Email-Auto-Responder+Web Gateway

Paul Howarth wrote:
> This should be fairly easy to build yourself, using procmail as a base
> to identify URL requests from authorised addresses (i.e. your work
> address) and call up formail to create the basis for a reply email, then
> curl to actually download the requested URL. Should make for an
> interesting evening's project :-)

Ow Mun Heng replied:
> You're having too much confident in me! It would take me more than an
> evening. (A Couple of evenings Even!)

Ah. A challenge.

A few minutes experimenting suggests that something like this in
.procmailrc

:0
* ^Subject: webfetch
* ^From:.*someone@xxxxxxxxxxx
| /home/user/bin/webfetch

with a /home/user/bin/webfetch file like

#!/bin/bash

for i in `grep "^get: " | cut -c5-`
do
    (
    cat << END_HEADERS
To: someone@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: $i

END_HEADERS

    /usr/bin/wget $i -O - 2>/dev/null
    ) | /usr/sbin/sendmail -t
done

will do the job: send e-mails from someone@xxxxxxxxxxx with the subject
webfetch and the line
get: redhat.com
and you'll get the web page by return of e-mail.

You won't get any images: this might not be a problem. You might want to
play around with wget's options.

> PS : I'm using Cyrus + Postfix and thus, currently I don't have a use
> for procmail. Will Sieve work? But seriously, running Cyrus, does seem
> to make things harder.

Don't know: can it pass e-mails to arbitrary scripts?

James.

--
E-mail address: james | They say that every cloud has a silver lining, which
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | must be a bit alarming for airline pilots...