Re: IS FC3 stable?

Les Mikesell wrote:

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 16:31, Pete wrote:

But, I have to ask: if you want something that works with the
default install, why are you using Cyrus instead of Dovecot?

Les, I'm sorry, but the configuration involved requires more than adding users to sasl and cyradm.

Cyrus was developed in it's own world, nothing at all like current unix and was intentionally designed to have it's own management concepts, users, and adminstrators separate from those of the OS. That means you should expect to learn different configuration techniques for it than anything else and that it can't possibly work from a fresh install because it doesn't relate to anything you did during the Linux installation. If you like that or you have enough users that the efficiency matters, Cyrus is a good choice. If you don't, there are other choices available for Linux.

Also, does dovecot handle pop?

Yes, if you want it to, or you can run another pop program.

Have you guys seen the front-end for Samba, very nice and clean, although yes it has some things that aren't working also, but it's very easy to configure Samba, no editting files, no running make by hand, is it too much to expect that from Cyrus?

You might note that the samba front end is really a separate program and there are other choices like webmin that you can use if you have a problem with a text editor. Likewise there are an assortment of tools to help manage Cyrus if you look around: http://www.hurrikane.de/en/mx/mailadmin/overview.html looks promising, and it's not the only choice.

I think not. I suspect that if you're in the "industry", you'd know it doesn't matter how well the software works, if you can't configure it easily.

I've been in the industry since before GUI's were invented and I
still can't figure out why people like to have most of their
options hidden behind a dozen tabs with obscure names when a
text editor with a search feature will let you find and change
anything in seconds without having to wade through a dozen screen
shots in a HOWTO to figure out how to get there.

I do see a problem with most programs in that a syntax error or
simple typo in a configuration file will often crash the program
where a form-based entry system can make sure your choices are
at least syntactically correct, so I don't completely disagree
with what you are saying, but the mainstream programs already
have a webmin module and/or independent administration utilities.

I agree Cyrus is different, and not necessarily in a bad way. But I would still like to see a bit more supporting doc's if it's included in the distro. And I love vi, it's just not having to remember the options and configuration parameters to hundreds of programs that I don't like. Even a partial front-end is often all one needs to configure and implement a new package. I also don't really mind editing files, if I know after I'm done it's all going to work. Front-end's usually make that process a bit easier. I remember the days of Xenix and Unix, and I don't long for the days when everything was done through vi. It's called progress. And as I often say to the Linux newcomers, I was into Linux before it was cool, lol, I just have better things to do than edit 6 or 7 files. And thanks for the pointer for Dovecot, that might fit my needs better. I was distressed to see my pop3 server from RH9 was gone, and dovecot doesn't really say 'POP SERVER' to me, so I over-looked it.