Re: Newbie

Mehdi Bouhalassa wrote:
Mark Weaver wrote:

I'm assuming you're using Fedora Core 3, yes?

Yup.

you and I are in the same boat with the CD's. this much I know... its a permissions problem. I just haven't taken the time to ferret it out yet and get it working correctly. you can mount the CD drive as root user, but as a normal user you can't. Still workin on this one.

How do I do that?  I really widh I had an ebook or something...

As for reading your XP partition if your XP partition is formatted NTFS

No, it's FAT32.

Thanks!

to mount the cd drive manually like we had to do in the old days, ( redhat 5.2, 6.0, 6.2 -> 7.3 ) one had to place the CD in the drive and issue this command:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder

Since your XP partition is fat32 adding the following to your /etc/fstab should do the trick for you.

1. as root create a dir where you will mount your windows partition.
	root]# mkdir /mnt/windows   [ENTER]

2. Add the following to your fstab
   /dev/hdax    /mnt/windows   vfat    defaults    0 0

   where "x" is in /dev/hdax above x = the partition number. Since
   windows insists on being the first OS on the drive I'm willing
   to bet that the device name on your computer is the same as it is
   on mine, which would be /dev/hda1. So your fstab entry would look
   like this:
   /dev/hda1   /mnt/windows   vfat    defaults    0 0

3. to mount the XP partition just issue this command as root user:

	mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows   [ENTER]

and that should do it. You should only have to issue this command just this once because you've added an entry in your fstab for the windows partition and it will mount that partition everytime you boot into Linux.

-- Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."