Re: Newbie

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
Am Fr, den 24.12.2004 schrieb Mark Weaver um 4:06:

Now, it won't read my music CD... And any idea how I can access my XP partition?

As for reading your XP partition if your XP partition is formatted NTFS then you've got to have the support for reading that filesystem enabled in the kernel. Mandrake Linux has this support compiled in by default, but so far as I've seen RedHat doesn't. You very well may have to recompile the kernel to allow you to view the contents of your XP partition.

Mark

No, no kernel recompile is necessary. The list archive is full with
answers and even the FC3 release notes contain instructions to build the
NTFS kernel module your own withouth compiling the whole kernel.

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/instructions.html

Alexander

nice! thanks for the info. I'm gonna take a look at this. Haven't done a kernel in a while and since this doesn't require doing the entire kernel it'll be a little while longer before I do another.

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."