Re: Fedora on servers

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 21:54, Bill Gradwohl wrote:
> Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>
> >17??? Wow.. WHat sort of box is that? 4U or just normal white boxes?
> >Those must be Maxtor Drives.
> >

> Hitachi. Waited 4 months to get them. Seagate now has them too, at least
> in theory. Getting your hands on those large drives is a different
> matter. The box is a rack mount 5U 24 tray backplane unit with 4
> redundant Power Supplies from www.servercase.com.

We just announced our 320GB using 107GB/pl(3 platters) technology.
Not sure if Seagate or others are using 4 platters.

> >BTW, does anyone has any recommendation on Mainboards? Experience with
> >TYAN mainboards?
> >
> Tried TYAN - don't like them.
Why?

> I'm setting up a dual cpu TYAN mainboard
Since you don't like them, why set one up? Or is it cause of this one?

> with 1 Gig of RAM on FC3 now to give to my mother-in-law as an email/web
> surfing box.
1 Gig of RAM for web surfing!! wow.. Ram ain't that cheap.

> Its not good enough for anything else. ASUS has been rock
> solid for over 10 years.
Again, You didn't elaborate why not. Anyway, I'm looking for boards
which has/have >1 built in network cards. (those 4  in 1 PCI ethernets
can't be found here)

> > I read a review on (somewhere) on the tyan mainboard
> >and it's 2 on-board GIG ethernet.
> >
> ASUS has them too.
Which One? Need to look them up. Does any have more than 2? Prefer to
have 3.
1-modem
1-DMZ
1-LAN

> All we spec are servers, so we could care less about sound, USB, onboard
> bogus RAID, and high performance video. I know you've been on this list
> a long time, so you know that those are the areas folks have the most
> trouble with.
Yep..Yep.. Yep.. It always pay to get an opinion on a board since most
times dealers don't know if it Item X will work with Linux and I can't
convince them to let me try it out.

Thanks. (Now if you can tell me which Asus board that is.)

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on D600 1.4Ghz