Re: Fedora on servers

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

17??? Wow.. WHat sort of box is that? 4U or just normal white boxes? Those must be Maxtor Drives.

Hitachi. Waited 4 months to get them. Seagate now has them too, at least in theory. Getting your hands on those large drives is a different matter. The box is a rack mount 5U 24 tray backplane unit with 4 redundant Power Supplies from www.servercase.com.

BTW, does anyone has any recommendation on Mainboards? Experience with
TYAN mainboards?

Tried TYAN - don't like them. I'm setting up a dual cpu TYAN mainboard with 1 Gig of RAM on FC3 now to give to my mother-in-law as an email/web surfing box. Its not good enough for anything else. ASUS has been rock solid for over 10 years.

I read a review on (somewhere) on the tyan mainboard
and it's 2 on-board GIG ethernet.

ASUS has them too.

Word of warning. Not everything ASUS makes is worth buying. Stay away from the "Deluxe" versions of anything. Typically consumer grade kitsch with too many bells and whistles and a BIOS that's off in left field.

All we spec are servers, so we could care less about sound, USB, onboard bogus RAID, and high performance video. I know you've been on this list a long time, so you know that those are the areas folks have the most trouble with. If we spec a board that happens to have any feature we don't want (USB typically), we turn it off via the BIOS. That's why I want a BIOS that I can work with and I can't get that from the likes of DELL, HP, etc.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx