RE: FC1 > FC3

>In the Past, i
> used to make backups from my FC1 / partitioon (ext3) by booting into
> windows and using DriveImage 2002 (its fast, easy and generates good
> compresseion). After upgrade to FC3, DriveImage 2002 as well as
> PartitionMagic8 doesnt recognize the ext3 / partition any more.

>From the Partition Magic (symantec) website:

-----

Situation:
You are trying to modify a Linux Ext3 partition using PartitionMagic 8.0.
You see the message "Error 510: The version of the file system is not
supported."

Solution:
Norton PartitionMagic 8.0 and PartitionMagic 8.0 may not work with Linux
Ext3 partitions when the dir_index file system attribute is enabled. Recent
Linux releases from Red Hat and Fedora set the dir_index file system
attribute by default. To prevent the error, disable the dir_index attribute,
perform the partition modification, then re-enable the attribute.

To disable the dir_index attribute

   1. Boot into Linux single-user mode.
   2. Type the following:

      umount /dev/xxx

      where xxx is the device name of the file system to convert.
   3. Press Enter.
   4. Type the following:

      tune2fs -O^dir_index /dev/xxx

   5. Press Enter.
      The dir_index file system attribute is removed.
   6. Restart the computer into Windows.

You should now be able to perform the operation on the partition without
producing the error message.

-----

Brian