Re: Substitute for CD-ROM Boot Install

Fred Clearwater wrote:
All:

I'm trying to install FC2 on an older system that does not support booting from the CD-ROM (there is a CD-ROM that works for reads but not booting). In the past, I've been able to create a floppy boot disk to start the install process and then continue from the CD-ROM drive to finish the install of other Linux versions. Apparently the floppy is not an option for FC2 according to what I've read due to kernel size. I read that there was a way to use a floppy to run grub to boot the system and then somehow access the CD-ROM to run the installation routine. I've got the system to boot up from a floppy with grub and leave me at the grub prompt on the system. I've tried copying the vmlinuz file from the CD-ROM to the hard drive and run that from the grub prompt but the end result is the system stops at a kernel panic. The install CD-ROM has a file called diskboot.img that the readme information indicates can be used to boot the system from a USB pen drive. Can I use that somehow from the hard drive to do the boot and install process or is there some other way?

Thanks in advance,

Fred Clearwater

Wow, this really needs to be in the FAQ if it isn't already.

The easiest way people seem to be getting around this Fred, is to download and put Smart Boot Manager on a floppy:

http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/

This boots from floppy, then allows the system to bootstrap ANY bootable device via a menu selection.

Regards,
Ed.