Re: Substitute for CD-ROM Boot Install

> > Fred Clearwater writes:
> > All:
> >
> > I'm trying to install FC2 on an older system that does not support
> > booting from the CD-ROM (there is a CD-ROM that works for reads but not
> > booting).  In the past, I've been able to create a floppy boot disk to
> > start the install process and then continue from the CD-ROM drive to
> > finish the install of other Linux versions.  Apparently the floppy is not
> > an option for FC2 according to what I've read due to kernel size.  I read
> > that there was a way to use a floppy to run grub to boot the system and
> > then somehow access the CD-ROM to run the installation routine.  I've got
> > the system to boot up from a floppy with grub and leave me at the grub
> > prompt on the system.  I've tried copying the vmlinuz file from the
> > CD-ROM to the hard drive and run that from the grub prompt but the end
> > result is the system stops at a kernel panic.  The install CD-ROM has a
> > file called diskboot.img that the readme information
> > indicates can be used to boot the system from a USB pen drive.  Can I use
> > that somehow from the hard drive to do the boot and install process or is
> > there some other way?

>On Monday 06 December 2004 20:18, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> I presume this is the vmlinuz images from images/pxeboot.
>
> If so, you also need to boot using initrd.img from the same directory.
> Something like this.
>
> title Installer
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz
>         initrd /initrd.img
Fred Clearwater writes:
That worked!  Just for the record in case someone else has this problem,
here's the entire sequence:
1.  Create a grub boot floppy disk. (Instructions for this can found in a
how-to on the net)
2.  Copy the vmlinuz and initrd.img files from the CD-ROM disk number 1 to the
first hard drive on your target system.  (this assumes that Linux is the only
system to be installed.  I formatted the drive as a FAT32 drive and booted
the system using a DOS bootable recovery disk to copy the files from the
CD-ROM since it had CD-ROM driver files to recognized the CD-ROM)
3. Leave the CD-ROM in the drive and use the grub floppy to re-boot the
system.
4.  At the grub prompt type
a.  "root (hd0,0)" and Enter (omit quotes)
b.  "kernel /vmlinuz" Enter
c.  "initrd.img" Enter
d.  "boot" Enter
5.  This will load the kernel and start the installer on the CD-ROM.
6.  Follow installation instructions to load FC2.

Thanks,

Fred Clearwater