Substitute for CD-ROM Boot Install

All:

I'm trying to install FC2 on an older system that does not support booting
from the CD-ROM (there is a CD-ROM that works for reads but not booting).  In
the past, I've been able to create a floppy boot disk to start the install
process and then continue from the CD-ROM drive to finish the install of
other Linux versions.  Apparently the floppy is not an option for FC2
according to what I've read due to kernel size.  I read that there was a way
to use a floppy to run grub to boot the system and then somehow access the
CD-ROM to run the installation routine.  I've got the system to boot up from
a floppy with grub and leave me at the grub prompt on the system.  I've tried
copying the vmlinuz file from the CD-ROM to the hard drive and run that from
the grub prompt but the end result is the system stops at a kernel panic.
The install CD-ROM has a file called diskboot.img that the readme information
indicates can be used to boot the system from a USB pen drive.  Can I use
that somehow from the hard drive to do the boot and install process or is
there some other way?

Thanks in advance,

Fred Clearwater