Re: Mail server upgrade

Am Mo, den 06.12.2004 schrieb Paul Michael Reilly um 7:19:

> > Keep care to preserve the UIDs/GIDs of your system user accounts. Else
> > you will have to change ownerships by hand on the spool mboxes.
> > Yes, following all advices from the dovecot Wiki will bring you safe
> > from point A to point B.
>
> I think something has changed to tighten the constraints on UID values
> below 500.  I have accounts with UIDs below 500 who are not receiving
> mail whereas others are.  Can you point me at some explanation for this
> behavior and recommended remedies?

> -pmr

Paul,

I am not sure whether I understand you correctly. You say your system
has created user accounts with UID below 500? I guess you created user
account in that UID area, right? Correct me if I am wrong. And you are
saying that you have accounts which should be able to receive mail while
they don't? Maybe I understand you better if you rephrase a bit what you
mean and give some real world examples from your host(s).

freshrpms.net has a page which lists UIDs used on Redhat / Fedora
systems:

http://freshrpms.net/packages/res/uidgid.html

Other Linux distributions handles UID numbers differently.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 19:57:22 up 19:19, 17 users, 1.18, 1.08, 1.20