Re: OT: fighting rbl's

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 04:18, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been repeatedly affected by RBL providers incorrectly listing my
> static IP address in their dial-up ranges causing my messages to be
> rejected by the servers of several clueless wannabe administrators.

I was not going to respond to this since others have made most of my
points, but my case differs somewhat.

I am on a static IP addresses, both for my older dial-up account and my
broadband one. In both cases I run smtp here, (one sendmail the other
exim) and both are configured to use my ISP's outgoing mail server.

The IP addresses are in DBL. That way, the ISP does not mind me running
smtp (rather than pop/imap), as if I mis-configured with open-relay or
sent spam, other email servers would not respond to me and if I use my
ISP's email server to send spam they would notice it in their logs
quickly.

I do not see any problem in everyone using their ISP's mail server for
outgoing email. It is easy to configure and provides some anti-spam
measures for the ISP and for any unfortunate end-user mis-configuring a
smtp server for open-relay.

Thomas, why would you not want to use your ISP's outgoing mail server?

Regards

Chris