RE: OT: fighting rbl's

fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Die, 2004-11-30 at 17:01 +0800, HaJo Schatz wrote:
>> Further, are you sure you're on a static IP?
>
> I am very certain indeed.
>
>> Your mail headers indicate that you're @ an IP from Vienna's Chello
>> Cable Service.
>
> That is in fact correct, but chello does not use separate networks for
> their residential and business customers and even the end users get
> assigned an IP that can be reasonably considered static.

So what you're saying is that your ISP has chosen to organise (or, most
likely, simply NOT chosen to organise) their networks in such a way that
their business and residential customer networks cannot be differentiated,
and you're being caught in their choice/incompetence/what-have-you?

Could it also be that they themselves provided this netblock to the listing
services?  If so, then they should be fixing the problem, and the list
owners are rightly refusing to delist an address without the consent of the
owner of that address, and the nominator of that address.

>> If that's the IP you're talking about, the problem likely lies with
>> Chello -- their customers spam.
>
> Almost every ISP's customers spam from time to time, the only
> difference is whether it is being tolerated or not.

Very true.  Many of the lists do maintain certain addresses because the ISPs
are historically slow to respond (if ever).  I personally have had problems
with several of the Chello systems, though in particular .nl, not .at.

>> In that case complain to Chello to tighten their network (eg block
>> outgoing SMTP) or simply use their mail server as a relay.
>
> Chello is already scanning their residential customers for running
> servers and are quick to discontinue their service if any open ports
> are found.

If they organised their network properly, they could do what many
responsible ISPs do and block outbound port 25 access for those netblocks
which should not be using it.

 -Don