Re: OT: fighting rbl's

Chris Hewitt wrote:
On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 04:18, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
I do not see any problem in everyone using their ISP's mail server for
outgoing email. It is easy to configure and provides some anti-spam
measures for the ISP and for any unfortunate end-user mis-configuring a
smtp server for open-relay.

Thomas, why would you not want to use your ISP's outgoing mail server?

I only use my ISP's mail server for sites that I cannot reach directly. One of the disadvantages of using the ISP's server is a loss of control; once the mail is delivered to the ISP you have no control over redelivery attempts (if the remote MXes are down), can't see if the mail has actually been delivered to the remote site's mail server etc. Knowing such things can be very useful when diagnosing mail problems.

Paul.