Re: OT: fighting rbl's

On Die, 2004-11-30 at 14:48 +0000, Chris Hewitt wrote:
> The IP addresses are in DBL. That way, the ISP does not mind me running
> smtp (rather than pop/imap), as if I mis-configured with open-relay or
> sent spam, other email servers would not respond to me and if I use my
> ISP's email server to send spam they would notice it in their logs
> quickly.

My ISP here has 228,000 customers. If every one of them sends only 10
messages per day this makes 2,280,000 messages. This gives me good
reason to doubt they would notice a few spammers abusing their mail
servers.

> I do not see any problem in everyone using their ISP's mail server for
> outgoing email. It is easy to configure and provides some anti-spam
> measures for the ISP and for any unfortunate end-user mis-configuring a
> smtp server for open-relay.

My ISP's mail server _cluster_ has a history of loosing messages and
being blacklisted for sending spam. Especially caused by clueless end
users configuring their open relay to use the ISP's mail server as
smarthost.

> Thomas, why would you not want to use your ISP's outgoing mail server?

Using my own mail server I can verify that and when a message has been
delivered to the recipients server. Have you ever tried to get this
information from your ISP?

Last but not least we live in a time of more surveillance than ever
before. Using the ISP's mail server gives the authorities a central
point for scanning the messages in transit. Yes, I use PGP but this
requires a certain skill and privacy awareness from the recipient. TLS
on the other hand is more widely deployed and provides an easy solution
to ensure that mail can only be read at the sender's and recipient's
sites.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89