Re: 2 DNS, one machine

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 06:09, Colin Brace wrote:
> Scot L. Harris wrote:
>
>   > For a home LAN I would recommend you utilize /etc/host files to manage
> > your addresses instead of a DNS.  Just configure your /etc/resolv.conf
> > files to point to your ISPs DNS servers.
>
> The ASDL router-modem that I have can be configured to run DNS services
> for clients on the internal network, but I have my doubts about this; it
> seems to fall out on a regular basis and I recently reconfigured my
> setup to use the ISP DNS servers instead. Do you have any experience
> with these router-based DNS options? Are they a viable alternative?

I have not used a router-modem with that feature.  For a home LAN with
even a dozen machines it is not difficult to maintain /etc/host files
across the machines.  I also limit DCHP to laptops that are on and off
the LAN on a regular basis.  All other systems on my LAN have hard coded
IP addresses.  That is my preference.  I believe it makes managing all
of my systems easier.  Keep it simple if possible.  I would continue to
point my machines at the ISPs DNS servers directly.  I am sure you can
make it work but it seems to me that it complicates the setup.

At work I have used a split DNS and would recommend that in such a
case.  I implemented several DNS servers (for redundancy) for internal
use as well as several that faced the Internet.  The zone used for the
ones facing the Internet had very few entries since we only needed to
advertise a dozen or so web sites along with various MX records.  The
internal DNS servers literally had thousands of entries for all of the
equipment we had on the company intranet.  This was organized in several
zones.
--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx