Re: 2 DNS, one machine

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 19:49, Bruce wrote:
> Is it possible (pratical) to run 2 domain name servers on one linux box (with one processor)?
>
> I'm installing FC2 to be a server for small home network but I would like to connect to the internet occasionally for updates and such and I need to assign an IP address now while installing. RFC 1597 suggests two DNS as a solution for this situation.
>
> Do I only need to use one of the addresses assigned for private networks in RFC 1597? It wasn't clear to me when I read the spec if these addresses are reserved globally for private networks or if DNSs connected to the internet always need an assigned IP address.
>
> TIA,
> Bruce

First you probably want to review RFC 1918, I believe that superseded
RFC 1597 sometime ago.

The address specified in those RFCs can be used by anyone on a private
network.  You need to select a subnet from the private address space for
your network.  Most home users end up using something in the 192.168.xxx
range.  A 24 bit subnet should be more that sufficient for a home LAN.
(24 bit means you use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0)

You will need a device that with NAT your private address space to the
public address assigned by your ISP.  I always recommend one of the many
inexpensive hardware firewalls such as Netgear or Linksys puts out.
They are cheap and easy to setup.

For a home LAN I would recommend you utilize /etc/host files to manage
your addresses instead of a DNS.  Just configure your /etc/resolv.conf
files to point to your ISPs DNS servers.  Maintaining a handful of
systems using host files is fairly easy.

Once you get that setup and working get the O'Riley book on DNS and read
up on how to configure it.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more
deadly in the long run.
		-- Mark Twain