Install over XP

Hello.

I am trying to install FC3 on my laptop.
It has a 20gig HD formatted as NFTS.

I have tried to use the auto and manual to create the root/swap dirs.

The install program will not let me do the install.

I understand that NFTS is worthless for linux.
I am not sure how to proceed.  I feel like I am in a catch-22

I boot XP and tried to format the C drive and windows will not let me.

Suggesttions?

Thank you.

I have been looking on line and I can find a ton of info the file system and sharing with windows.. but I cannot find advice on this isssue.

Thank you for your help.