Re: Install over XP

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 05:57:16PM -0600, Terry R. Grier wrote:
> I am trying to install FC3 on my laptop.
> It has a 20gig HD formatted as NFTS.
>
> I have tried to use the auto and manual to create the root/swap dirs.
>
> The install program will not let me do the install.
>
> I understand that NFTS is worthless for linux.
> I am not sure how to proceed.  I feel like I am in a catch-22
>
> I boot XP and tried to format the C drive and windows will not let me.
>
> Suggesttions?
>
> Thank you.
>
> I have been looking on line and I can find a ton of info the file system
> and sharing with windows.. but I cannot find advice on this isssue.
>
> Thank you for your help.

What you need to do during the install, before selecting manual or
automatic partitioning, is to press <ctrl+alt+f2> to switch to the
command line terminal and do:

	fdisk /dev/hda

and delete the NTFS partition.  Write out the (empty) partition table,
and then restart the install process by hitting the reset button.

This will present the Fedora installer with an empty disk that it should
be able to deal with properly.

Hope This Helps (HTH)

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury     `- -'