Re: Nvidia, Intel, and clout

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 17:30 -0500, Sean Estabrooks wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:42:00 -0600
> "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Do not give in to the Dark Side. Remember that what you want is better
> > support, and to do that you vote with your dollars. Do not focus your
> > primary goal on hurting Nvidia, since that gains you nothing and in fact
> > loses you someone who does provide some support where others provide
> > none.
> >

> Hi Rodolfo,
>
> Some people like myself believe that the best support comes from open
> source.   While Nvidia and companies that take similar strategies are
> obviously not evil they're not the type of company that i'd support
> through purchases.
>
> I'd much rather support companies like Intel that are going the extra
> mile.   While Intel don't have 3D products that compete head to head
> at the top level today [...]

Sean,

You've quoted me out-of-context and incorrectly. My God, man, did you
really read my post? And did you notice that I was specifically
answering someone whose point was "let's go crush Nvidia and hurt their
sales"?

My point was that people should not set out in a crusade to boycott
Nvidia, since that is not the real goal. The goal is to get better
support and more open-source drivers. To do that, we should support
companies who *do* open-source the drivers, and we should demand and
clamor for those products and those drivers. After all, if a company
opens their driver and it doesn't help their sales, then they've gained
nothing, have they? So buy stuff that supports open source.

If, apart from working *positively* to get more support for the open-
source cause, someone feels compelled to go out on a crusade to destroy
a video-card maker, then I suggest that Nvidia is not the right target.
*You* don't need top-of-the-line capabilities, but others do. Must they
I am not aware of any other company who offers a $500 video card that
has Linux drivers of any sort. Do you know of any?

At the top end of the market, I am not aware of *any* company which
provides more Linux support than Nvidia. Corrections (factual!) welcome.
However, I *am* aware of several companies that provide no Linux support
whatsoever. So if you must crusade against someone, then start with the
worst "offenders". I submit that Nvidia is not the worst offender and
hence not an appropriate target for those so destructively-minded.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>