Nvidia, Intel, and clout

I've been on this list since early FC1, and Nvidia issues appear to be a major problem area. I have no need for high end graphics as all the Linux boxes we do are servers, so I've simply avoided the Nvidia problems by not purchasing their products. I doubt Nvidia has notices any decrease in sales on my account.

Now that Intel has struck a deal with Nvidia, it appears that the Linux community is going to see even more issues as more MOBO's come equipped with Nvidia chips.

As a community, can't we influence Nvidia to cooperate in driver development to resolve these issues for the unfortunates that have innocently encountered this stumbling block on the road to Linux deployment? There was a time when Linux in general wasn't a major player, but that time is long gone. Linux now has clout, and straightening out the Nvidia problems may be the venue to exercise it. It might also send a signal to other problem vendors that not cooperating will have $$$ consequences.

Trade papers like Computer Reseller News, Infoweek, E-Week, etc. regularly report on Linux, so why not give them an article that factually portrays Nvidia issues in an attempt to "influence" Nvidia's sales. If the Fedora Project were to put out a press release stating their concerns the major publications would likely print it, and purchasers could be better informed leading to fewer problems on this list, happier end users, and lowered sales for Nvidia.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx