Re: Nvidia, Intel, and clout

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 10:09 -0600, Bill Gradwohl wrote:
> I've been on this list since early FC1, and Nvidia issues appear to be a
> major problem area.

I don't agree here. I have a couple of boxes with older Nvidia cards
where I don't want/need the full 3D features, and the open-source "nv"
driver works well. I also have one box where I *do* want the best
graphics features possible, and I have previously used both the Nvidia
installer and the Livna RPM packages to keep the driver up to date. No
problems at all.

On the other hand, I have a customer who bought a high-end ATI card and
it took us a while to realize that by no support, they meant hell would
freeze over before the thing would work. I have had other, equally
unpleasant experiences.

Yes, Nvidia *could* improve its Linux support. Yes, it *would* be better
if they open-sourced the driver; and I hope someone else open-sources
theirs to increase competition. BUT, and this is a big BUT, all of this
is not the same as "Nvidia is screwing us, let's make sure they don't
sell any cards."

Let's not make Nvidia out to be the Evil Robber Baron here. Or, if you
want to boycott Nvidia, then please point out any supplier of high-end
cards that *does* open-source their driver and give us what we want. At
this point, from where I sit, Nvidia is not by any means the worst
offender.

> If the Fedora Project were to put out a press release stating
> their concerns the major publications would likely print it, and
> purchasers could be better informed leading to fewer problems on this
> list, happier end users, and lowered sales for Nvidia.

Do not give in to the Dark Side. Remember that what you want is better
support, and to do that you vote with your dollars. Do not focus your
primary goal on hurting Nvidia, since that gains you nothing and in fact
loses you someone who does provide some support where others provide
none.

Convince people to issue that press release, but focus on the needs of
the users. Focus on getting more support, on highlighting the number of
people who use this. Make the manufacturers *want* to support us. And
then, of course, actually buy the stuff that supports us. But if you
want to go boycotting people, there are a lot of companies out there
that provide a hell of a lot less support than Nvidia.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>