Re: bugzilla not being particularly helpful

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 03:02:23PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> William Hooper wrote:
>
> > Bugzilla is a developer tool.  Developer time is generally better spent
> > fixing bugs than going through and re-categorizing them.
>
> I'm not sure that's right.
> If the present categorization - which I find bizarre -
> leads to bugs being overlooked, then it isn't serving its purpose.
>
> I've also found the buzgilla search facilities difficult to use.

This is a 'classic' problem for bug systems.
The knowledge perspective inside of a bug system
is that of a developer and a context of knowing
the internals of the source tree.   Also it is a work
flow tool not an information system.

However having said this, search engines all have tricks
that help.  From the Google help pages.

    "Domain Restrict

    "If you know the website you want to search but aren't sure where the
    information is located within that site, you can use Google to search
    only that domain. Do this by entering what you're looking for followed
    by the word "site" and a colon followed by the domain name."

So, for example, to restrict Google to bugzilla and look for acpi and
powerdown.

     acpi powerdown site:bugzilla.redhat.com

So if the built in search tool of bugzilla is giving you no joy
try another search tool.  The above is for Google because google
was handy to test.   Other search engines work well and may
better match the search words and phrases you use.  -- see
their documentation to limit the context.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.