Re: FC3: "No soundcards detected"

M.Hockings wrote:

Gustavo Seabra wrote:

Mike,

At least in my case, the soudcard detector couldn't find my card beacause it's ISA. Anyway, since the system shows something there, it seemed to be working somehow. So, I opened the sound mixer (KMix, in KDE) and put all the volumes to the maximum and turned my speaker volume up: there was it! I could hear the sounds! What seemed to be the problem is that for some obscure reason Fedora sets the volume too low, and then we just don't hear it. (I tried Knoppix and the sounds came out just right from the start.)

Someone ought to fix this in a future release...

Hope that helps you too,

Gustavo.

Hi Gustavo,

In my case I have the the volume control set to max.

When I do the soundcard detection it just says that none are found, there is no inquiry to play a sound or if a sound was played.

And for me too Knoppix works fine, as does Win98....

Mike

Mike,

I think this problem with the soundcard detection is known. (I believe I saw this issue in bugzilla.) That's because it doesn't work for ISA devices, as I think your board (and mine) must be. However, Linux still finds it, and cofigures it "correctly". In Knoppix, the soundcard configuration tool has the same problem: it does't detect the ISA card.

Anyway, since Linux does find the board, and the drivers, this isn't such a problem; and I'm sure there's someone working on that now. However, I believe one shouldn't have to max out every setting just to hear a sound on the computer! A good setting should give you audible sounds at a low setting, sou that you can have some control over the volume, don't you think? That's where I believe the ALSA driver has a problem. The OSS diver used by Knoppix works fine.

Gustavo.

*Gustavo Seabra* <http://www.ksu.edu/chem/personnel/faculty/grad/jvo/ortiz/people_seabra.html> - Graduate Student
E-Mail: seabra@xxxxxxx <mailto:seabra@xxxxxxx>
Phone: (785) 532-6072 Chemistry Department <http://www.ksu.edu/chem/>