Re: Disk Partiotioning

Keith R. Evans wrote:

If you use Logical Volumn manager (LVM), then you can automatically resize the partition. Parted is suppose to do it for you, but I do not have a lot of faith in the tool, so what I usually do is create a new partition with the size I want, and copy the contents of the old partition to the new partition. After creating the new partition, update your fstab with the new partition and reboot your system with the new partition replacing the old. You can then mount the old partition to a temporary mount point and drop it. Do not unmount the old because the system knows about it until the reboot when it will point to the new partition. If it is not a critical partition like /var /boot /, /tmp, or swap, then you can just umount it and mount the new partition on the old mount point.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gustavo Seabra" <seabra@xxxxxxx>
To: <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 11:30 AM
Subject: Disk Partiotioning

Hi,

Is there any way to repartition the disk AFTER installing the system? I tried QTParted, but it doesn't repartition ext3 filesystems.

Thansk,
Gustavo.
*Gustavo Seabra*
<http://www.ksu.edu/chem/personnel/faculty/grad/jvo/ortiz/people_seabra.html>
- Graduate Student
E-Mail: seabra@xxxxxxx <mailto:seabra@xxxxxxx>
Phone: (785) 532-6072 Chemistry Department <http://www.ksu.edu/chem/>
Kansas State University <http://www.ksu.edu>
Manhattan, KS 66506-3701

That was my second mistake ;-) I didn't use LVM... The way I saw it is, since I only have one HD, why should I need LVM? Now, from your post, it seems that LVM has advantages even for single HD, is that right?

By the way, since I didn't use LVM, and wat to increase the size of / (root) taking space from /home, am I just screwed?

Thanks,