Re: Problem with an i815 Video Card on Core 3 Final

Mike Klinke wrote:
On Wednesday 17 November 2004 22:15, Jim Cornette wrote:

Of special interest to me is this excerpt from the bug report
that is referenced. I have not tried this solution yet, but
reports seem to indicate that upstream improvements are heading
toward a solution to this refresh problem.

Jim

----------------
Excerpt from bug 132267:

Ah! Thanks for the reference Jim. I've installed the test driver and so far my 24bit refresh problems haven't showed up after rebooting multiple times. My switching back and forth between text and graphics terminals still has a problem with 16bit operation though. I'll keep an eye on this over the coming days.

Regards, Mike Klinke

I'm getting ready to test this on a brand new installation. I put off even trying to install on this computer because of dual-head configuration problems also.

I'm just about done upgrading the fresh install with the latest upgrades and plan to test dual-head. (ATI primary and Intel 815 as secondary.)

Attempting to resolve broken software on a post-test release (FC3) resembles still being on the test versions. Hopefully, the problem is reaching a resolution. The bug CC list is getting rather large due to higher user amounts on the FC3 release.

Following the bug report, someone has similar symptoms that I have. If they run with millions of colors and at higher resolutions, they get no refresh problem.

Pinning the problem to the kernel drivers or the drivers for X is still unclear to me. Other instalations are experiencing this problem too. This should increase the pool of possible problem resolvers.

One idea that I came up with was trying to change the entry in xorg.conf from "i810" to specifying "815" as an option. I am not sure if this driver works in a similar way as the ATI driver for opting to narrow down the driver from "supposing" that this card is an 830 genre card and trying to send code to the video card that is not 810/815 specific. I seem to recall seeing "815" within the X config file used in other XFree86 versions before the split. This comes to mind because of someone posting that they had a 810 card, which was actually a 845 video card.
Since X used to work for the 815 video w/o problems, I did not really need to examine the file very often.

Jim